RE: [SPAM] Re: [RC] Old mares and their foals - heidi

Here are three of the reasons why I presumed the get of an older mare were
more
likely to have problems.  In general, old mares are less active and thus
stimulate
the foal in utero less.  Their blood's ability to deliver nutrients and
oxygen
declines.  Loss of muscle tone causes the anus to sink in a bit and fecal
matter can
more easily enter the urinary and vaginal tract.*

A lot of the activity of older mares depends on how they are housed and
how healthy they are.  Healthy older mares out on pasture are every bit
as active as their younger counterparts, in my experience.  Clearly
there is more opportunity for an older mare to have sustained injury or
to have achieved breakdown due to poor conformation--but that doesn't
affect the healthy, sound older mares.  Additionally, it isn't the
ability of the blood to deliver nutrients--it is the inability of a
scarred endometrium and a possibly thickened placenta that gives rise
to such problems.  And again, while these things do occur more often in
older mares, one cannot simply make a blanket statement, since many
older mares have no such difficulties at all.  With regard to a sunken
anus--that usually prevents mares from getting pregnant or from
carrying to term.  If the mare achieves pregnancy and the fecal
material sets up an inflammation of the cervix, then yes, you can have
trouble.  But again, for the older mares who have NOT lost their
perineal integrity and for those who have but are given the benefit of
a Casslicks repair, this is also a non-issue in the future usefulness
of the foal.

The following apply to humans over 35 or 40 (why not a horse whose roughly
equivalent
to a 65 year old human?) and while the reproductive physiology of humans and
horses
is vastly different, they are both mammals and all mammals AGE.  The quality
of ova
declines with age**; as humans age they have progressively more fetuses with
chromosomal abnormalities***.

Indeed they do.  But the majority of the embryos conceived that have
these problems are lost sometime during the pregnancy.  Very few go to
term.  So again, once there is a live foal on the ground, this isn't
something I'd hold against an old mare.  It CAN increase the rate of
embryonic death, though, which is frustrating to the breeder.

BTW, in searching for information to "back the statement", I came across this
interesting tidbit:
http://sheknows.com/about/look/1022.htm
Men over age 40 were twice as likely to have a Down syndrome child than men
less than
20 years old," notes Dr Fisch.
So perhaps I should amend my statement to include OLD stallions :)

Indeed, older males of all species are more apt to have chromosomal
abnormalities.  It isn't quite the same issue as in the females, where
the ova are more prone to mutation, but the problem does exist.  Which
is why I'm not going to rebreed the 30-year-old stallion to the
24-year-old mare, in which we DID get an early embryonic death last
time we tried it.  She will go to a young stallion, and he is having a
grand time settling his younger mares.

Heidi