Re: [SPAM] Re: [RC] Old mares and their foals - Diane Trefethen

heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Healthy older mares out on pasture are every bit
as active as their younger counterparts, in my experience.
"Every bit as active?" You truly have some amazing geriatrics. I have never seen a 25 yr old horse romp and play in pasture. The closest to that scenario is when a younger horse hassles them and doesn't quit at the first gentle warning or two so they chase the youngster a few strides... or when the feed wagon arrives.

And again, while these things do occur more often in older mares, one
cannot simply make a blanket statement, since many older mares have
no such difficulties at all.
All this is begs the point. The original poster wanted to know what to look for in selecting a 3 yr old, given similar breeding. SOME good endurance horses have a crooked leg, white feet, too big/too small a head, rotten disposition, short neck, upright pasterns, no withers, a clubby foot (wasn't there a runty little clubby-footed bay that did fairly well at the World Championships) or a 25 yr old dam. Does that mean we should seek out as our next endurance horse one who combines all the above... the best of all worlds so to speak, all qualities of SOME good endurance horses :)?

But the majority of the embryos conceived that have these problems are
lost sometime during the pregnancy. Very few go to term.
It is precisely the ones that DO go full term that, compared to their brethren born of younger dams, have the highly increased chances of possessing chromasomal abnormalities.