Re: [RC] glucometer - Joe Long

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 07:53:21 -0500, April <endurancerider@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Is checking the glucose levels important/helpful for riders that are not
riding to top ten or win? I.E. back of the packers? I am still learning how
to manage my horse in endurance and find this type of data gathering
fascinating.

None of the advanced training or monitoring techniques such as those Tom has
been talking about are necessary to complete endurance rides, although many can
be helpful.  Nor are special nutritional supplements necessary.  Good basic
nutrituion, a moderate conditioning program, and sensible riding are plenty,
even for 100-mile rides.

Hell, these advanced techniques aren't even necessary to race at most endurance
rides.  If you are riding FEI and hope to win some of the high-speed and very
competitive events being held in some parts of the world, competing against
operations that spend large sums of money on trainers, vets, nutritionists, and
such, then you may have to do these things.  Although I'm more interested in
hearing what people like Valerie Kanavy have to say about them, they sure know a
lot more than I do about how to compete at those levels.

I haven't been riding with a heart monitor this year, as I didn't start out the
year intending to ride at the top levels.  I do plan to use one next year, and
probably a glucose monitor, too.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx