[RC] glucometer - April

Hi, Tom,

I am curious about glucometers. I have not heard of using one before. I did some looking in the RC archives and found out some information about how to get a blood sample and some sample numbers, but I have a couple questions.

Are there guidelines for what to feed and when and how much to keep my horse's glucose levels even? I would think that would be the goal...an even blood sugar that does not spike or dip, is not too high, nor too low, but is the "right" amount to provide consistent energy. I am rather looking for a place to start rather than just doing the trial/error myself while understanding that my horse is an individual and there will be some type of trial and error.

Is checking the glucose levels important/helpful for riders that are not riding to top ten or win? I.E. back of the packers? I am still learning how to manage my horse in endurance and find this type of data gathering fascinating.

Also, to show my ignorance here, what is an ES?

Thanks,
April
Nashville, TN