Re: [RC] what to do with the old horse - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

I didn't take it that the original poster was abandoning her horse. A horse is
best off where he fits best. There is ALWAYS more of a demand for gentle horses
that beginners can putter around on than for endurance athletes. If this horse
is now slow and gentle a well chosen home where he can continue to make a
contribution is to me much better than having him stand around just waiting to
grow old. We've got a 22 year old that we are VERY grateful was loaned to us
for the past 4 years. His owner could have said, "He's earned his retirement
here" but instead he saw a good match and let Ben continue to be useful. When
we can no longer use him I wouldn't resent one bit continueing to feed him, but
I'm guessing we'll probably see someone who needs what he has to offer at this
point in his life and allow him to continue to make people happy by being such
a great guy. It truly is a shame to just let one vegetate when they are still
useful happy horses.

I still keep up with my old horse that I owned for 16 years and sold when he
was 18. I am willing to take him back any time because I owe him that but I do
believe he'd thank me for letting him spend his last 10 years on their flat
grassy field instead of hanging onto him. I saved him 10 years of hanging on
the side of my hill just watching me take other horses out to ride.

Angie