[RC] WEC - Thursday update - StephTeeter

One week out. The days zoom by - seem to be filled with getting to and from
places, and trying to keep in sync with quarantine hours, meal hours,
finding a little internet time when possible, a few photos. I look back on
each day thinking I didn't get much done... not quite sure exactly what did
get done, .

The OC is cracking down on access now - no more meeting at the chalet club
house with all the other riders - only those staying in the chalets can eat
there now. I understand they can't feed everybody, but that was the best
place to see others and catch up on news - will miss it. There's a Big Event
tonight - dinner/party outside at the Bab al Shams - invitations were issued
for this one, so it's not open to every body that's here - only those who
have received their credentials pass and an invitation. The invitations are
from:

-----------
His Highness General Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum
       Crown Prince of Dubai and UAE Defence Minister
                               &
Her Royal Highness Princess Haya Bint Al Hussein
Wife of His Highness General Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rasid Al Maktou

"Request the pleasure of your company to a dinner held on the occasion of
The FEI Endurance World Championship"
----------------

- authentic Arabian Barbeque (good food), entertainment, and ... fireworks.
The OC is going to allow a few people to go to the quarantine barns during
the fireworks - a few worried riders! The barns aren't very far from the Bab
Al Shams. I'll try to get some pictures of everybody and all the Stuff. If
it stops raining that is... it started raining - a lot - last night, off and
on today, now it's raing again - very hard. The locals say it's the most
rain they've had in three years. Our hotel had problems with power/water
last night - the fire alarms went off periodically - no electricty in the
rooms till mid morning - strong winds and rain - not something they're
accustomed to dealing with. But... the desert will be happy.

More folks keep trickling in - I bumped into more USA guys - Dewayne Brown
(NW) doing massage for riders, helping when/where he can. Saw John Crandell
(USA farrier), Jeannie Waldron (USA vet) at lunch. They were headed out to
the US barn for more trot outs. I think they're going to keep all 9 horses
at the Endurance City barns - still trying to keep all options open for
final list for the race, and trying to keep everybody together.

Argentina is doing well - I really feel for Eduardo, being Chef d'Equipe is
a tough job - everybody always needs something - and he's spending all of
his time as go-between for Federation and OC, as team leader, mediator,
problem solver, boss, friend, psychiatrist... It's a lot tougher for many of
these countries because they don't have support and help from their
Federation, they don't have a USEF and a Mary Lutz! So they have to do
everything themselves, from the mundane paperwork, to the larger task of
preserving and protecting their team of riders and horses - and have to
learn and understand the FEI rules and regs, as well as all of the OC rules
and regs. It's a real job - and the underlying nervousness of the riders is
a constantly changing weather pattern. (rain or shine)

John is going to try to get here before the WEC - in which case I'll have a
lot more help, photos, techy stuff, more immediate news. Lucie Hess is also
coming over, and we're arranging to get her press passes for Endurance Net .
I'm going to be busy helping Argentina (at this point I'm going to drive
Mercedes' support rig, and also crew in the c checks) - so won't have a lot
to contribute once things get rolling.

John and I (Endurance Net) are planning to be here to cover the Presidents
Cup (Feb 17) . We'll get started on that as soon as the WEC is over. There
will be quite a few US riders - the 3 alternates already here in Dubai, plus
Becky Spencer and Jeremy Reynolds - the 2004 Tevis winners, and I think Hall
Hall and Thunder will be here too. Karen Kroon - the winner of the Abu Dhabi
Arabian Nights was invited - but she was recently deployed to Iraq (she's an
Air Force public health officer - a veterinarian by traning).

Hopefully I'll have more news and photos tomorrow. This rain is pretty
amazing... hope it quits before the dinner!

Steph