Re: [RC] Lightning - Chris Paus

I used to start an endurance or CTR ride even if lightnig was all around. I won't anymore after my own brush with it...

I've told you all before about my mare who was hit by lightning in our trailer as we were traveling down I-35, so I won't bore you with it again.

But this year, two people, one in Salt Lake City and one in Kansas City were hit by lightning in their vehicles. It came in through the windows! You are not safe on rubber tires!

And just a couple of weeks ago, a little girl in a town near here was hit by lightning in her bed! It hit the roof of the house, traveled down the nail line to her bed and caught her bed on fire! She yelled for her parents and they rescued her, so all was well, but geesh, how scary is that!

chris

rides2far@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Just before our little race for low ground yesterday, one of the other
riders told me about this incident below. Gave us more incentive to move
on. The woman who told me said they'd "taken cover" under a tree...always
a bad idea. This happened at East Fork, a very popular area near Big
South Fork where many horse owners buy a vacation lot and take their
horses up for weekends. The website I found the clipping on was pretty
scary...called http://www.struckbylightning.org/news/dispIncidentdb.cfm
Glad I didn't get my name on it!
Angie

07/01/2005 1 dead 0.0 M Jamestown Tennessee
USA riding a horse Horse,Outside
An afternoon riding horses turns deadly when lightning strikes in
Fentress County. Authorities say five people were horseback riding at
East Fork Stables near Jamestown when the storm hit. Just before three
this afternoon, a bolt of lightning struck a tree, ran into the ground
and killed a man and two horses. The lightning knocked two other people
to the ground. No word on their conditions right now. Jennifer Geiger ,
Producer
http://www.wbir.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=26943&provider=rss
sbl20050207061847_news.aspx_storyid=26943_provider=rss