RE: [RC] Heart Murmur - Linda Cowles

Sorry to hear of your friend's horse - how was the heart attack confirmed?

I believe Stacy had a field autopsy done, but at this point I forget. I'm
told that horses that have heart attacks or brain embolisms drop hard and
die fast; that they don't thrash once they're down. In the one heart attach
death I got to check out, the horse dropped hard enough that he hit his
teeth broke open his lips with almost no blood loss. A vet could give better
input on this.

Porter passed the final check, but Stacy took him back to the vets later
because he didn't seem right. They noticed an irregular heart beat, but it
wasn't alarming, so she took him home. This was either at Las Trampas or
Oakland hills 5 or 6 years ago. Maybe someone else remembers.

Do murmurs lead to heart attacks or just reduced performance?

I'm really not sure. Porter was prone to them and was a very good endurance
horse. He was hot, though, so Stacy always held him back. There are several
other extremely good endurance athletes who continue to compete well with a
heart murmur. Gabby was going like a son-of-a-gun when we got into the check
and the vet noticed his murmur and suggested I pull him because of the
combination of the murmur and B's on cap refill and A- on gut sounds... He'd
had a restless night.

Do you mean you personally check it consistently or have a
vet out?  If you do do you just use a stethescope?  What does
a horse heart murmur sound like if any of us wanted to check
for it I guess is what I'm really asking.

You can hear them with a stethoscope, and yes, when I'm training hard or
competing, I pack a stethoscope. I don't need to get off my horse to check,
but it helps.

I got in the habit of asking ride vets to check for a heart murmur. They
need information relevant to your horses tendencies and recent performance,
and if they know your horse has had a heart murmur in the past, they'll
listen with that in mind. I don't expect ride vets to catch everything
unassisted! I've had a horse pass the second vet check with all A's, walk 5
feet and pee blood! These vets have many horses to look at and are
constantly being distracted by the chaotic environment. If we care about our
horses, we need to help them out however we can.

With Gabby, my only triggers seem to be electrolyte imbalances... I need to
be careful to give enough, and not too much.

If you know your horse has had heart murmurs, ask vets to check for it, and
if the vet finds a murmur, ask to listen to it! You are the one constant in
your horses life, the one person who can learn to recognize if a murmur is
"the same old thing" or if it's worse than usual - an indication that your
horse is under unusual stress.

Lots of horses compete very successfully with these things. Educating
yourself on how to recognize them will help your horse be one of the
successful ones.

Linda Cowles
Certified Hoof Care Provider
707-548-9960 - Mobile
HealthyHoof@xxxxxxxxxxx
WWW.HealthyHoof.com

.... when you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.