[RC] Long Toe/Low Heel - Sherman

Karen wrote:

The thing that seems to allude most farriers is that they need to get rid of the excess toe (rasp it away or nip it away) from the top, not by taking it off the bottom.  And at the same time, they need to take the heels down as much as possible (which may mean using a wedge to balance the pastern axis) in order to get rid of all of the horn tubules in the heel that are growing forward.  Most farriers won’t take the chance to do this because they see it as radical.  But, it truly is the quickest way to get the horn tubules growing downward instead of forward in a badly crushed heel hoof.

My shoer has rasped & nipped the toe from the top, however, what I haven't seen him do is remove much heel. I think I'll talk to him about doing this. It probably will require a wedge for balance as you mention. It is only on one front hoof that we have this problem.....the other front was toed-in, but that is nearly undetectable now.

Thanks to all for your insight & suggestions. Can you also explain how the New Balance shoes help with this problem, just in case I need to try something else.

Kathy