Re: [RC] Bitless Bridle - Zephyr Arabians

--- ebeyrider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
If your horse tries to avoid nose pressure by
pulling and tugging on the nose or
throwing the head up, definitely use a running
martingale for the start of the
race. If not, they can toss the reins over their
head, even at a walk, and you are helpless.

This probably isn't aimed at me, but lest my comments
about choosing to use a bit at the start be
misinterpretted... I use the bit (French link snaffle)
at the start of a endurance ride on my mare that wears
a sidepull the rest of the time not because she DOES
pull or attempt to avoid the sidepull, but because I
don't want her to get the idea that she COULD.  She
completely respects the sidepull and I want to keep it
that way.  At this point (her second year of 50s; 400
miles total so far) she still can be excited at the
start with all the other horses so amped, and I don't
want her even thinking that the sidepull can't
actually stop her. :)

For my gelding, who is a freight train (and learned
how to root on his second 50, oh joy), I use a
mechanical hackamore.  He used to tug and pull and try
to run through a bit even on training rides, used to
make me crazy and kill my hands & shoulders (yet you
should see his arena work, he's gorgeous).  For him,
the mechanical hack made all the difference in the
world and he can go on a loose rein most of the time
-- something that actually wasn't an option with the
bit since he would never relax.  He's still a monster
at the start (see above about his second 50, which was
just two weeks ago), but at least with the mechanical
hack he doesn't actually run away with me. (If he
didn't have so much training, and know to listen to me
"a little" even when being a jerk, I know that NO
piece of equipment could stop him.)

IMO, the traditional sidepull is an outstanding piece
of equipment for greenies, or for going back to basics
like the original poster was talking about, or for the
more "finished" horse who doesn't need more control.
It gives clear, direct, uncomplicated, and
unthreatening signals to the horse.  There's no poll
or jaw pressure, no pinching or poking or jerking.
That's why it is such a traditional piece of equipment
for starting young horses and teaching them to steer
and stop before they've picked up any bad habits. :)

~Nicole

Zephyr Arabians http://www.zephyrarabians.com
KattWmn Web Design http://www.kattwmn.com