From: rides2far@xxxxxxxx [mailto:rides2far@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2005 9:01 PM
To: tallcarabians@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Electrolytes - as a supplement

Reason I'm asking is that I have a boarder - a first time horse owner
- who is insisting that I feed her horse electrolytes in his feed.
Along
with several other supplements.

When at the PNER convention, we stayed at a hotel that was also hosting a
3-day eventing convention. They were having a trade show and I walked
through. There was a feed company there that had a computer program that
he could put in your brand of feed and all your supplements and could
tell you how they interacted and what you were off on. As I walked by he
asked me what combinations I feed. I sort of apologetically told him I
just feed a good commercial feed and free choice bermuda hay, free choice
salt. He looked shocked and then sort of did a big sigh and said, "That's
the smartest answer anybody's had all day". He said he sees horrible
cases of people starting with a nice balanced feed then screwing all the
ratios up with all the additives they throw in.

As to the electrolytes...from what I understand, endurance horses become
alkaline. Horses with scours and race horses need electrolytes because
they become acidic. If you use their electrolytes on an endurance horse,
doesn't that just make matters worse?

Angie