[RC] GAHR - apleg8'n

This is  an opportunity for all endurance riders to enjoy the history of THE
GREAT AMERICAN HORSE RACE of 1976. This book is a Photographic Documentary
of the race across America starting from NY to California. An awesome
historic event that you won't want to be without.

It was a rough going race and there are  many riders still going strong in
AERC today. One of our riders in this PNW area still competing is Hope
Lundquist. An inspiration to every woman on the trail. This wonder of a
woman is 79 years young this season and still hitting the trails. I am
hopeful to see her at Sunriver this month and have her autograph my book.
She entered TEVIS again last year but pulled before finish when her horse
ran off from her at a pit stop.

Another rider that I had the priveledge to ride last year with was Karen
Vilander. World Class rider and what a gracious lady she is. Karen was just
a kid when she took on GAHR. I hope she sees this post and will want to join
up Tom Sites group.

There also is a group that Tom Sites, well known on Ride Camp who was also
in the GAHR, started that is locating riders of this event to tell the
inside stories of what went on during the race. Sex, Violence, humor....all
the makings of a thrilling ride for sure. You won't believe the gear that
these people rode with back then.

To order this magnificent book and it is not making these guys any money at
$13.00 and that includes the shipping and handling, write to Larry and Curt
Lewis, PO Box 263, Derby, Kansas 67037. You will not be sorry, trust me!
They will even autograph it if you ask them. Curt was the author and Larry
was the guy that mapped out the route and basically held this race together
when the promoters went belly up and things looked pretty bleak for a
finish. You won't be able to put this book down!!

Riders came from all over the world to participate in this wild
ride...Mules, Icelandics, Cross breds, oh it was something! Nevada holds an
annual AERC ride called The Smokey Killen Memorial in honor of one of the
rowdest guys in this race. Smokey rode most of the ride with a broken collar
bone he got in a fight along the way. My kinda guy he was!

If anyone wants to join Tom's GAHR group either go on RC and ask Tom or
email me and I will set you up. Best to get the book first and read it then
join the group. Tom, maybe you could post the site to join up on here.

The book is mostly pictorial, one that you just want to pick up over and
over and look at those hard core riders and wish you could have been there
to be a part of something that can never happen again. Sorta like the equine
woodstock.

amber