Re: [RC] great BLM unknown herds and the Joy song (long) - Karen Sullivan

My mare is from Coyote Lakes HMA (East of Steens Mtns); probably mix of
army remount (Tb; Morgan; possibly TWH), Spanish and ranch-QH.  She actually
has many Spanish characteristics; having a very Andalusian-type head, croup
and movement,
plus strong dun factor (grulla with dorsal stripe, leg barring, shoulder
barring, etc).

A friend also had a mare out of the Warm Springs Herd (also Oregon)....both
horses exhibit
the same, extremely elastic gaits and very efficient, groung covering walk
and trot.  Ramona, the
BLM rep. at Burns said this is typical of many of the herds that cover long
distances between
water holes; they develop a very long-strided, smooth way of going....

Mine is young, so I can't brag on rides completed or anything; and is still
a training project.  She had a good
start as was adopted at about a year; but right before I bought  her, had an
too-intensive 45 days
with a reining trainer.  There has been a lot of that training to "undo",
and get her to relax again on
the trail.  She now gets pretty apprehensive in arenas (no wonder), and can
get reved up on the trail; she does love to go and move out.  We are still
mainly doing long, slow, boring rides..

What is exceptional is the connection she made with me pretty immediately,
and how she always comes up
out of the rest of the horses; to greet me.  She is always watching me, and
trying to figure out what is going
on.  Very, very cooperative and very smart.  I do believe she has done
better on some of the local training
rides in terms of leaving groups and rejoining, than some of the older,
seasoned horses.

Compared to the Arabs, she looks long-backed, but her back is strong and
level. Trot and canter are very smooth.  Nice shoulder, very good bone and
feet, straight legs. Strong, substantial  looking horse.  Also big, about
15.2.

Karen

C----- Original Message -----
From: "Barbara Moulton" <outermostsoul@xxxxxxxxx>

I vote for Little Owyhee HMA horses from Northern NV.
...........> Chickapoo is from the Beaty Butte herd adopted out of
Burns.