Re: [RC] [RC] Ouch! So that's what a pull at the finish feels like! - RDCARRIE

In a message dated 6/4/2005 10:14:15 PM Central Standard Time, greymare56@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

What is going to happen if you get to a ride and decide not to even do it? Trainer Wendy and I went to LBL recently. I signed up for the 50, changed down to the 25 because of the weather and ended up not getting up in time for the start.

*Some years ago I was bit by the endurance bug, had done a few 50;s, had my mare very fit and signed up for the Gold Country 50.  Got to camp, set up,and all afternoon felt a fever and bad cold coming on.......just felt awful.
Next morning, changed down to LD ride.....started out with ton of Kleenex, got rained on all morning. First vet ceck was so wet and cold my hands did not work, and I could not work snaps on add-on bridle.  Finished ride totally soaked, and SO VERY GLAD I was not on the 50!!! Yes, totally pays to be flexible!!!!!

Back in 1999, the year I started, I showed up at a ride (my third LD), all signed up.  I felt nauseous before leaving home Friday morning, but went anyway.  Started throwing up in the check-in line, continued in the vet-in line, but went to bed determined to ride.  Spent most of the night throwing up, and woke up still nauseous and with a killer migraine.  Needless to say, I didn't ride.  <G>

Have been in the "pulled at the finish" group, too.  This past Jan. I did a 50 on a friend's horse I'd been riding for 6 months or so.  It was a lot of deep sand, which he wasn't used to, so we went slow - took us most of the 12 hours (I can put up a mean fight for turtle <G>).  Made it the whole 50 miles, but he was tight in the rear.  Vet let me massage him and re-present, but he was still tight in the left rear.  I think the vet felt worse about pulling me than I did.  He gave me a big hug and apologized, but like I told him, heck, the horse was off, we didn't deserve a completion.  I was just happy that it was just soreness from the sand and nothing worse.  The next day General was running around the pasture like he hadn't done anything.

Dawn in East Texas