[RC] Was Hard Guy-not the trail, ME!, now mountain horses make mountain riders - Dyane Smith

I love Banner stories!

This one reminds me of my own copper penny horse, Sun.  Several years ago, a
friend and I went riding in the Angeles Forest near Los Angeles (Chantry
Flats, for those who know the area).  We had never gone there before but
John thought he remembered a trail from his Boy Scout hiking days so we
headed out.  The first part was pretty flat and easy.  As we crossed a
little stream at the bottom of a canyon, we met a hiker who said, "Boy, I
didn't think they let horses on this trail!"  Unfortunately, we did not ask
him what he could be talking about.

A mile or so farther as the trail wound up the cliff, we found out.  The
first obstacle to get our attention was a big flat boulder across the trail
that sloped slightly toward the canyon floor.  Sun did not want to cross,
but it looked fine to me.  I urged him forward.  Halfway across, he slipped
and the next thing I knew, his nose was even with a bush growing below the
trail.  The only good about having me on a horse is that when I am
terrified, I freeze and don't interfere.  I just turned Sun's nose toward
the trail and he scrambled and scrambled and literally crawled back onto the
trail.

After we were safe, I got off and my knees were water.  I hadn't been afraid
of mountain trails before, but this one got my attention.

From then on, John and I decided that certain spots were "step-off" spots,
where we would get off and lead the horses across.  We met several more
step-off spots:  a place where the trail was rock with three deep crevasses
and only enough surface to put a foot on each; the place where we met two
mountain bikers and they laid their bikes down, one on the upslope, one on
the downslope and Sun walked between them keeping one ear flicked to be sure
he did not step on the peddles that were some 8" apart; the tree that had
fallen across the trail with room for a person to walk under the tree on the
upslope, but not room for a horse, we had to step out over the tree trunk
and the canyon 300' below to cross it.

I did not know how Sun could get over these obstacles but I never looked
back.  I will micromanage with the best of them when I have some idea of how
it goes, but I knew I did not have a clue about managing four feet.  I had
all I could do to manage two!  Neither Sun, nor John's horse took a single
bad step.

Sure enough, when we got down the ranger came running over to ask us to
please never ride on that trail again.  He didn't take his horse on it and
he was barium-shod.

I don't recommend it, but Barbara and Banner could do it.  Horses like Sun
and Banner are horses of a lifetime.

Dyane

Barbara McCray wrote:
Yesterday, we went out riding.....gorgeous breezy day....and we took a
friend along to show her the trail.  Banner was in the lead, as he likes
be, even though he will spook at some thing that startles him....a log, a
leaf fluttering, a patch of light, a rock.  Somehow, yesterday, I went to
the trail with a feeling of calm and confidence.  I know the horse....he
is
steady as a rock in a tight situation.  He may spook at silly things, but
he's extremely intelligent, and I just knew he would take me down that
trail
safely.