[RC] (no subject) - DeborahHuebsch

With the huge wealth of information that is out there in the endurance community, I'm hoping someone will have some insight to share on a very persistent and frustrating problem with my 11 year old gelding.

Here's my question:  I have a horse that has muscle problems in the hind end.  Symptoms don't generally occur until at least 25 miles and feel like muscle failure (as when a person lifts weights until he can't lift anymore).  This is discernable mostly on the steeper downhills at the walk.  The trot seems generally fine.  There is recovery after a few minutes, but the symptoms tend to recur every time there is a steep downhill.  My vet is wondering if there is a problem with creatine or (since I'm not exactly sure what creatine is) I'm wondering if a creatine supplement could help.  He isn't an endurance vet so I thought I'd put it out there and see if any of you have ever had similiar situations.  It isn't a conditioning issue.  We've done plenty of hill work.  I started him on Platinum Plus and Myo-vet which is specifically designed to help the muscles about 3 months ago.  We've done 2 VERY slow 50 mile rides in the last 2 months and I've considered pulling him both times after 25 miles because of this, but haven't because he seems happy and not in pain and the vets say they see no problem.  But I FEEL it and am concerned.  Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks very much!
Deborah (in S. Calif.)