Re: [RC] re: brand inspections - Truman Prevatt

Jonni wrote:

Well, not sure how long ago it was that you traveled back "west" Truman. I'm
just sharing what we did on the XP rides in both 2001 and 2004. You of
course are welcome to make a run at it without the papers they ask you to
have. And I'd hope anyone heading into another state, should not trust just
the word of what ever is posted here, but contact the states office
directly, and get the CURRENT requirements. I'd much rather have everything
in order, than be stopped, delayed etc. I went into AZ from CA about 4
years ago, and they had a sign at the inspection station that said "All
Livestock must stop". Well, I just went on past, and did not stop. They
chased me down, lights a flashing, and gave me a ticket for going past the
inspection station, even though all my papers were in order. They did not
care that I said "I'm sorry, I thought that sign meant cattle, not horses".
You just never know when some trooper is gonna have a bad day because he
didn't get his morning coffee, and jack around with you.

So.......We have to stop each and every time we go in and out of FL - period. They are open 24/7/365. We even had to stop when we were racing home in front of a hurricane - they never close. You go past they will chase you down. That's normal operational procedure in FL. We know about papers down here because we have to have them every time we go in and out of FL. My papers stay in the truck. The issue is what is valid id and by the way we cannot get brand inspections in FL. FL does not register brands so there is nothing to inspect them to. The issue is what is proper Id. My experience has been that my paperwork is quite sufficient for anyone that has looked it - even in brand inspection states - even in WY. If they want to see a picture of my horse (three of them actually) - look at my Coggins. If they want to see a picture of my horse (three of them actually) look at my heath certificate. If they want to see a picture of my horse to prove ownership - they can go to http://www.globalvetlink.com - one of two USDA approved databases for equine health related data. It has all my Coggins data, health certificate history and horse identification right there online. My vet has been using globalvet line for four years - during the USDA pilot program. It will be the standard in FL shortly and most likely the entire US in the near future.

I spent 8 weeks in UT and CO in 1996. In 1997 I spend three months working out of CO and we rode in CO, WY and drove (all the way across WY with a week camping and riding near Pinedale on the way back) to UT to pick up a trailer. In 2001 we ended up in Northern ID doing rides in MT and WY along the way. That trip was about 8 weeks. During outbreaks of VS and required 48 hour vet certificates, etc. and never a moments problem.

As far as hostile brand inspectors, once I point out to a brand inspector in a nice manner by showing him or any other state official that our ID papers are probably much better for identification than anything else around, if he doesn't agree, then maybe his supervisor will. But it's never come to that and I doublt if it will.

Never a moments problem - but my papers are in order. If I were planning a trip for the first time and had a question the first place I would call would be my state vet's office. Your state vet will know the agreements between states, states and the USDA and what is required according to those agreements. I sure would not believe anything anyone says on ridecamp :-) !

Truman

--

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein