[RC] [RC] [RC] What type of training? - KimFue

   I think this is where the "art" of racing or being competitive comes in.  I believe there is a balance of speed,  rest and recovery until the next competition, and longevity or duration of career.  I think it is the longevity of the career not the number of miles in that career that really count in the long run.  Wear and tear happens in high mileage horses as well as those that choose to race.  It is good horsemanship and knowing your horse and using him wisely that leads to longevity in an endurance horse's career regardless of the number of miles on that horse's record or the speed to which that mileage was earned.
    I wouldn't trade any of Freebee's Top Ten's for more mileage and his endurance career spanned from 1992 to 2004.

Kim

If I could exchange every first place or top ten that Rocky has had in his career, for double that # of slower rides I would do it in a heartbeat. It all seems so important when you are doing it, but the reality is that even the best horses are subjected to wear and tear by going faster, and you end up putting a lot more than dimes and quarters into them.