[RC] [RC] [RC] What type of training? - Dreamweaver

That's where I've been really lucky with Rocky, he's made over 7000 miles and never needed to see a vet in that time for any problems, and did do his fair share of going fast, top tenning, winning getting BC's and never had a metabolic problem. He's still going strong, and hopefully will keep going. I was just musing that I love riding him so much that if anything he has done in the past reduced his longevity in any way then I don't think that it was important enough, tho at the time I wasn't thinking that far ahead. My longest lasting endurance horse, also my first, is Weaver who is in his 11th year, and has done several rides this year. He isn't too far behind Rocky on mileage now, but I have ridden him considerably more than any other horse outside of endurance, and I am really grateful to still be riding them both. Longevity on the trail isn't as important as having the horse grow into old age comfortably.

I just feel now that I am happier to not be in a hurry with Chief, who has now made over 3000 miles also without ever having to see a vet or having any problems or issues related to the mileage he has done. Now he's got the base, so that if I ever do decide I want to go faster I can and he knows how to take care of himself. Plus I know him well enough to know if something ain't right. I've been really extremely lucky with all my horses, and guess I'm getting more conservative as I go.

Karen
in NV