Re: [RC] re [RC] What type of training? - DVeritas

"3. Some horses seem to have the desire to run bred into them and I don't think that any amount of training for pacing, walking, trotting, will ever erase that desire."

I absolutely agree with this statement, however, KNOWING why a horse wants to run can be key for the rider.  Gifted riders can discern this...those a bit more novice can, and often do, mistake a horse who runs as one who WANTS to, when, in fact, the horse is not motivated by "desire" as much as by fear, anxiety or lack of understanding.

There's no doubt in my mind that riders (like Dabney) who have the experience acquired from miles and years of work can do what she advocates.  Those new to the sport, more often than not, (IMO) would be better off finding a quiet horse, willing to do the work that will one day result in being able to snuggle up to being Speed Horses.  If folks new to this sport want to start off with Speed Horses, good luck to you and your horse.  I wouldn't recommend it, but I'm just one voice trapped in my own experiences.

There are many riders who ride (so called) "hot" horses who HAVE done years of work to become very successful, which for them means "winning" endurance races.  I know some truly great riders who can ride fast, seemingly win at will, and not go through horses as if they are disposable.

For the original poster though, I advocate the tried and true method.....FIRST, find a horse suited to doing this sport in the manner you, the rider, want to do it.  There are many horses who will fit the bill.

Living with "success" in this sport can sometimes be harder than living with the alternative...for the horse.

Frank