Re: [RC] Time between rides - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Laura,

  Good point, I have had horses that "back in the day prior 1991"  I would compete on similiar to what you just stated.  In fact, I had one horse that did a 100 (win and BC) and two days later did a 50 (also win and BC).  And she never showed any signs of it being too much.   Now, that seems to be outragous.  I think that we in a way asked a lot more out of our horses then.    I don't know if I  asked  mine to do something like that now, if they would hold up. (most likely not!!!!!)    I have wondered if they just aren't that caliber horse.  But, seems like there were a lot of "those type" horses longer ago.
 As far as time off between rides now, I don't hardly get on them between rides, just to see how they feel and how they are moving.  But, we are going to rides every month, so they need all the rest time they can get.  And they have plenty of pasture to run around in.

Jody

Laura Hayes <mark@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The question being bantied about regarding time off before and after 100 made me think about how we used to do several rides in a row and not work so hard at making a science of it---so I looked up a few records of people I admire in this sport.

The first one was Kathy Arnold and her mare, Easter Charm.  In 1985 they did a 100 on June 14, a 50 on June 29, the Big Horn 100 on July 13 (2nd and BC) and another 100 on 7/27 (another 2nd place) with a 50 on Aug 3.  This horse went on to do many many more successful rides for years.  The bottom line, in my humble opinion, is that there is no cook book method.

Laura Hayes
Vine Cliff Farms
Brocton, NY
AERC# 2741