RE: [AERCMembersForum] RE: [RC] 100 mile rides - Jim Holland

What I was referring to with "crew on the trail" was being able to meet your
rider before the vet check.  My crew likes to walk down the road a couple of
100 yards with a bucket of water and maybe a handful of hay for my horse and
perhaps a gatoraid for me and we talk while walking back to camp. That "is"
on the trail.  They also do that for me in the vet/P&R line, which also was
not allowed.  My crew was also not allowed to trot out my horse.  I like to
"watch" the trot-out....particularly with Sunny.

And there was a H#@%$ of a lot more to it than just that. If you're
interested you can read my original post at:

http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/archives/past/01/19/msg00011.html

Angie, if I remember correctly you were sent the wrong way by those "give me
your number dingbats" at that lollipop and the finish line was even worse.

I had not one problem with a RIDER....so IMHO, that's kind of a dumb
statement on your part and irrelevant. It was the arrogant FEI stewards and
the fact that AERC riders were forced to comply with FEI rules that I object
to....WITHOUT STATING THAT ON THE ENTRY FORM, IN THE RIDE MEETING OR ANY
OTHER PLACE.

That's the last I'm gonna say on the subject. I will vote with my feet.  I
simply will not attend an FEI/AERC dual sanctioned ride. Period.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

I will not attend a
ride where they confine me to a tiny space to crew, my crew can't meet
me on the trail, I can't feed my horse in the vet line, and non-FEI
riders are treated as "second class citizens".
snip<

I'm confused here.  Many AERC rides have had to disallow crews u,

Well, in the case of Biltmore, there really isn't anywhere *to* crew on the
trail. I've done it about 10 times, most before it was FEI and never saw
anyone crew on the trail...ever.

The FEI people have to weigh in and vets have to find the horses after the
ride  so the first year they assigned them parking nearest the vet check.
Since most got there a day early they probably would have been there
regardless, but there was much grumbling. Since the rule was simply that
they all had to be  in one area so the vets could check them easily after
the ride as required they have since moved all the FEI riders to the
equivalent of Siberia...at the *far* end of the field which of course causes
them to need to bring everything they own to the vet check since truck
traffic is not allowed back to their trailers during the ride...so then
you're accused of having too much stuff at your check.  Meanwhile, some to
say they're being snobs for parking  out there by themselves. UG!  Who are
"THEY" the horrid FEI riders? The same people you rode with at the AERC ride
last week...
like Karen Clark who finishes top 5 with no crew a mile from her truck and
never looks flustered, leads the country in .

Angie