[RC] Scratches Article in EN - sandy rovane

I just read the new EN article on scratches.  Are these the same as the alcoholi irritations my horses get?  The horse, regardless of color, front and back legs get irritation during and after many of my rides regardless of how I treat their legs.  This article made it sound simple. Did I read it wrong.  This sounded like a "show horse" problem.  I am not trying to offend the writer I am just baffled.  Please respond to me in person.