[RC] Nov-Dec horsenews - Mike Sherrell

Nov.-Dec. horsenews:

Thanksgiving, took 4 days off and went to Carrizo Plain national monument,
east of Bakersfield. It?s 25 miles long and five miles wide, lying along the
San Andreas fault and separated from the San Joaquin Valley by the Temblor
Range, which is just a few miles wide and quite precipitous. It surely was
once antelope heaven, but when the whites came they kicked them off for
cattle. Rojas tells stories about vaqueros that rode here, and every few
miles across the plain there?s some abandoned farm buildings, big bashed-in
water tanks, broken-down cattle pens and loading chutes; some of the taller
ruins lift big nests of sticks above the plain.

On the road between some wrecked cattle pens with their water tank and a
ruined little house surrounded by abandoned farm machinery, with that
unnecessarily artistic pre-depression ironwork, we came to a slightly lower
spot with was a ten-yard patch of the tallest fresh green grass. I stopped
and got off and let Traveller graze, and looked out across the valley. I
haven?t felt so completely alone since I can remember. A little beyond, a
flock of curlews poked the ground for bugs with long curved bills, then took
off and banked left on their pointed gullwings, banked right, and settled
again 50 yards further along and began poking around some more.

One night Traveller escaped when I didn?t see an open gate in the back of a
grassy cattle pen I put him in. Looking for him with the spotlight,
reflective eyes turned out to be a young fox or very young coyote. Next
morning Taveller?s tracks led up the dirt road just over a mile towards
where we?d camped the night before; he seemed relieved to see me. I led him
back driving the truck holding his lead rope out the open window.

There?s no water, no food, no gas. Watch out for the salt sinks; we got into
sticky salty muck trying to finish a loop before dark and never found water
to wash it out of his tail and off his legs. Also watch out for the burrows;
the soil is honeycombed with them and you have to lead your horse; only the
roads are sound footing. Violent, striking fault features crop up, such as
the Elkhorn scarp. When we got there you could see old farm buildings five
miles away across the plain, but then one day South Central Valley air
pollution laid down a haze ? though not as bad by a long shot as the
whiskey-red smog over the whole south end of the San Joaquin valley when we
came back the next day. There are more rideable old farm roads than on the
internet map but fewer than in the DeLorme atlas. When we were there in late
November it had only rained once and there were patchses of new grass here
and there, but by the end of March the grass will be luscious.

Thanks to a new horseable gate in the middle, another venue that came
together starts at McInnis Park, west of 101 just north of San Rafael. 5
miles of Bayside gaiting: flocks and flights of waterbirds, water on both
sides of you half the time, views of Mt. Tam to the west and Mt. Diablo to
the east, mostly soft dredged fill for footing and all of it flat as the Bay
itself.

We rediscovered a really excellent ride along the abandoned railroad tracks
south from Guerneville Road past Railroad Square, through the homeless
encampments under the freeway and along between the back yards as far south
as Hearn. There are only a couple of wide, busy roads to cross, and 90% of
the way is great, great gaiting ? mostly dirt and light gravel single track
through the grass. A lot more downmarket than Iron Horse trail through
Danville and Alamo. It?s only about 45 minutes each way, but close to hand,
and when the ground dries up in April it will be possible to go further
south.

December, Traveller?s gaits/moves come together. I?ve stopped pushing him
away from the sobriandando, just holding him a little away from the pace. I?
ve come to intuitively know the headset to hold him at, he's very responsive
to my seat, and he?s very smooth and very fast. In soft ground and/or when
he gets excited and frightened I can get him into an amazing rocking-horse
paso llano. It may be because we?ve developed to this spot, or because I
quit riding all the other horses and only ride him, which seems to have
given him a certain confidence. He has gained confidence; he?s taken to
pinning his ears at me when I brush, de-mud or curry him. I haven?t decided
whether to reprimand him for it, but I?m watching his hind feet.

His excellently smooth and too-fast-for-genteel-sightseeing gait finally
came into hand in the final 200 yards of a several-mile levee ride south
down the right bank of the Russian River from Healdsburg. The next day, also
during the rainy week of Xmas-New Year?s, to make sure of it we went east on
SR creek, the north branch, from Fulton across Guerneville. Everything?s
green, mossy, growing, molding, mushrooming, rotting, all the overhanging
trees and the backyards with their crowded landscaping, smaller lots than
Iron Horse and so more crowded with plants and garden features, almost as
overgrown as New Orleans or Savannah or Limon, the decaying old Spanish
Carribean city on Costa Rica?s Carribean coast. Winter is the most beautiful
time of year in California.

Mike Sherrell
Grizzly Analytical (USA)
707 887 2919/fax 707 887 9834