Re: [RC] More on 100 mile riders - heidi

This is a very valid point and maybe at the crux of the demise. The
100's are not always a big bang for the buck. Traveling half way cross
country to do a 100 takes a long time when you could get the same
"satisfaction" a lot closer in the same amount of off time from a
multiday ride. Myself, I rather take a couple of weeks, drive around and
 do several rides - maybe a multiday that spend the same time going to a
 100.

The same criteria of supply, demand and value will drive the endurance
market as drives any market place. It seems to some extend the 100 mile
format and the multiday format appeal to the same set of riders. The
riders that have FEI aspirations are required to do 100's to qualify to
run FEI. The riders that don't have FEI asperations have a choice hence
will chose the best value for their time and dollars.

Truman, not all have the same goals and preferences as Karen--or as you.
Although I enjoy multidays for many reasons, the main reason I like them
is that I can take multiple horses in one trip to do fairly relaxed 50s to
get them established.  Although I've not been in a position to ride 100s
for the past few years, as far as I'm concerned, they are WAY more "bang
for the buck" than anything else in this sport, and everything else I do
in this sport is in preparation to get back to doing 100s.  I may be in
the minority with my preference--but nonetheless, you can't make the sort
of blanket generalization that you are making.

Additionally, although 100s are by far my favorite distance, I had NO
desire whatsoever to go to ROC, and never aspired to.  Nor do I have any
desire to do the AERC National Championship.  Simply getting back into
shape and getting a horse ready to do 100s again is sufficient incentive
for me, as to me, 100 miles IS the ultimate that this sport has to offer.

As for your assertion that it is so distasteful to "subsidize" 100s and
that it should be voluntary, I am already FORCED to subsidize the AERC
National Championship, which to call any single ride such a thing is a
concept that I utterly detest.  If I HAVE to support such a thing, I see
nothing wrong with you "having" to support a subsidy for grassroots
100s--personally, I think the latter would be money far better spent, and
far more in keeping with the spirit and purpose of our organization.

I do agree that the upswing in multidays has cut into the 100-mile entrant
pool--it used to be that 100 miles was the only "ultimate" that this sport
had to offer.  Multidays provide a different sort of "ultimate."  Some
people are more attracted to one, some to the other.  But when you look at
multiday stats, those people who actually go ride every day of a multiday
on the same horse are just about as rare as 100-milers--the difference is
that a bunch of us can go to the multiday and use it as I described above,
as a bunch of single 50-milers.  So, the entry numbers are higher, even
though the people who actually do the multiday as pioneer rides are in the
minority.  It is no different than having a one day ride where there are
80 50-milers paying the bills so that 10 100-milers can go ride.

Heidi