Re: [RC] More on 100 mile riders - Truman Prevatt

This is a very valid point and maybe at the crux of the demise. The 100's are not always a big bang for the buck. Traveling half way cross country to do a 100 takes a long time when you could get the same "satisfaction" a lot closer in the same amount of off time from a multiday ride. Myself, I rather take a couple of weeks, drive around and do several rides - maybe a multiday that spend the same time going to a 100.

The same criteria of supply, demand and value will drive the endurance market as drives any market place. It seems to some extend the 100 mile format and the multiday format appeal to the same set of riders. The riders that have FEI aspirations are required to do 100's to qualify to run FEI. The riders that don't have FEI asperations have a choice hence will chose the best value for their time and dollars.

I suspect if Mike looks further he will find that a much higher percentage of 100's are accounted for by AERC Int members than non AERC Int members and would be accounted for at random - since about 1999. I suspect in the later years of the period he will find at least 1/2 of them.

It seems that the 100's have competition for riders from multidays because many feel multidays are a better value for their endurance time and dollars, i.e provide more satisfaction, more miles per mile driven, more miles per day of work missed, better social environment, etc - however they tend to define value. The decline in 100's may be a significant indicator in the evolution of the sport. The market forces may be driving this evolution to a state where there are a small number of high profile 100's and a few historic rides. The high profile 100's are those that are primarily supported by those interested in FEI. Of course if this happens it will probably single the end of the "backyard 100" and rides that the average guy/gal feels like entering to try his first 100. This would be a tragedy for the sport that started as a backyard recreational sport where everyone felt comfortable taking their shot. This is a far cry from the day I entered the sport when there were at least 8 100's in the SE region, some years 9.

Truman

Dreamweaver wrote:

Any other interpretations from the group on seeing this?

I would like to ride more 100's, but I don't really care to keep repeating the same ones over and over, and there aren't a lot to choose from in my area. If I am going to travel far, I would prefer to do multidays as I get a lot more satisfaction from completing a 5 day ride on the same horse than I do by riding a 100.
Karen
in NV

--

“A pessimist is one who makes difficulties of his opportunities and an optimist is one who makes opportunities of his difficulties.” Harry S. Truman