[RC] trucks / towing ratings (long) - Jonni

Hope this is not too confusing. Anytime you buy a truck for towing, you need
to understand what the truck is rated for in Gross Combined Weight Rating,
and towing capacity. In the case of the Dodge Dakota, the GCWR (gross
combined weight rating) is 11,700 pounds (that is the max.load). That means
you combine EVERYTHING. The weight of the truck, the people, the load in the
bed (camper??), the trailer, and everything in the trailer. Dodge website
lists the Dakota to weigh right at 4300 pounds. So, you subtract that
weight, from the GCWR, which leaves 7400 pounds for the people,load,
trailer, hay, horses etc. etc. That stuff adds up FAST! Horse trailers vary
in weight, but as an example, the Brenderup trailers, which are known to be
the LIGHTEST trailers run from 1300 pounds EMPTY, to 2150 pounds. I'd guess
most 2 horse steel trailers weigh about 2500 pounds to start...minimum. So,
subtract that from your GCWR, and now we are down to 4900 pounds for
everything else. 2 horses, about 2000 pounds average. So, 2900 pounds left
for feed, water, tack, people, etc. etc. The other consideration of course,
is the Towing Capacity. Some of the Dakotas are only rated to 2000 pounds
towing capacity. Others, properly equipped, are rated to 7000 pounds. In the
case of the two horse trailer at 2500 pounds, plus 2 horses, you would
indeed be within the 7000 towing capacity of the special equipped Dakota.
So, you should not go over the towing capacity, OR the combined weight
rating.  Everyone should know what their trucks are rated for, and run them
across a scale on the way to a ride sometime, when you are fully loaded.
Amazing how heavy most of our rigs are. I found a really quiet (not busy)
scale at a truck stop one day, and even unhooked my trailer, and pulled the
truck off the scale to get a true reading on just what the trailer weighed.
BTW, don't forget tongue weight ratings! But that is a whole 'nuther
subject.

Now, just to toss more out for some to consider. Just because the truck is
rated to pull a certain amount, is it rated to STOP that amount? And, I
would personally not want to always be towing at what the max. rating is for
the truck. I'd rather move up to the next size truck, and be well under the
rating.  And last, if you have an accident, and they check and can prove you
were OVER what the vehicle was rated to tow, I have heard of insurance
claims denied.You can never be "over trucked", but you most definitely be
"under trucked".

Here are the different terms used, that we should all be familiar with, if
we tow that I pulled off line:

*Gross Combination Vehicle Weight Rating (GCVWR) - The value specified by
the manufacturer of the tow vehicle that is the maximum the total trailer
combination can safely weigh. This includes the combined weight of the tow
vehicle, the trailer, passengers, horses, plus all equipment and supplies
carried in both the tow vehicle and the trailer  (also GCWR, or Gross
Combined weight rating)

*Gross Combined Vehicle Weight (GCVW) - The actual weight of the loaded
truck and the loaded trailer combined.

*Vehicle Towing Capacity-The manufacturer's specification of the weight the
vehicle is designed to tow. This is the weight of the trailer and its load.
Make sure the hitch is rated as such too. It is often recommended that your
towing weight not exceed 75% of the GCWR.

*Gross Axle Weight (GAW) - The weight that is loaded on the front or rear
axle

*Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) - The amount specified by the manufacturer
as the maximum weight that can safely be loaded onto the axle.
.
*Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) also Gross Weight (GW) - The actual weight of a
single vehicle and its complete load.

*Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) - The value specified as the maximum
loaded weight of a single vehicle. For the tow vehicle, this includes the
weight of the tow vehicle, fuel, all passengers, equipment, and the tongue
weight of the trailer, either a tag-along or gooseneck. For the trailer,
this includes the weight of the trailer plus mats, spare tire, horses, hay,
feed, supplies, etc.

*Tongue Weight - The amount of the trailer's weight that presses down on the
trailer hitch (tag-along) or the rear axle (gooseneck). Too much tongue
weight can cause suspension/drive train damage, and can press the vehicle
down in back causing the front wheels to lift to the point where traction,
steering response, and braking are severely decreased. Too little tongue
weight can actually lift the rear of the vehicle, reducing rear-wheel
traction and causing instability which may result in tail-wagging or
jackknifing. On trailers over 2000 lbs. tongue weight should be 10-17% of
trailer weight. For gooseneck trailers, tongue weight should be 25% of
trailer weight.

Jonni