[RC] CAIR panels - Libby & Quentin Llop DVM

Greetings all:

       Wool vs. Air Panel (CAIR or FLAIR) saddles;

Yes, I can get a better 'fit', when considered statically, by carefully
flocking a saddle with wool.   HOWEVER ---- I actually ride my horses! When
they are ridden, I like them to move freely and take big steps.  There is
absolutely no way a wool flocked saddle has the responsiveness to allow the
freedom of motion, that I expect in a saddle. Time and again, I have seen
beautiful workmanship fitting a saddle to the static horse, only to need to
explain to the horse owner that the saddle does not allow the horse to move.
Those of you who do not flock your own saddles have the additional problem
that wool is high maintenance: it compresses with time.  It was traditional
for English saddles to be reflocked annually.

That said:
1) Whatever panel system is used, the shape of the tree should match the
shape of the horse.  The Panel should be a flexible interface that allows
the horse to change shape as he moves.  This is a Biggy!  Don't blame the
panel, because the tree shape differs from your horse shape.

2) The FLAIR system is highly adjustable to fit and balance the saddle &
rider.  It is the only system that I know of that is actually adjustable
while the rider is on the horse.  It is particularly helpful where there is
an asymmetry.

3) The CAIR system can have flocking added behind the air bags so that the
panel under the pommel better matches the contours of the horse.  I do this
in about 30% of the saddles that I see.

4) CAIR bags sometimes leak.  We have had excellent warrantee replacement
from Weatherbeeta.  If there is interest, I can put pictures on our website
to explain how to test.

There is also some other related information on our website that might be of
interest; www.InvernessFarm.com.

Currently, we have about twelve saddles in use, ten with air panels.  Any
horse that is mature enough to be ridden over half an hour, is ridden in an
air panel saddle.  (The non air panel are Aussie style that we use for the
young stock.)

Happy trails!

Quentin