[RC] Easyboot question and Epic update - DreamWeaver

How do other people determine when it's time to replace the boots, and what is the average amount of miles people get on the boots?
It depends on the horse, the terrain, and the speed at which you travel. If I go slower the boots last longer than they do when I ride faster. Some trails also wear the boots faster. Once the tread starts to disappear I usually retire those boots to spares, either they go on the saddle, or the crewbag or trailer for backup boots. I may also use them for training in, or if I lend one out. Depending upon the ride, I'll choose boots with more or less tread as well -- if I know I'm going over a lot of rocks or pavement (rocks as in solid large pieces of it) I'll use boots with more tread so I have less chance of slipping. Front boots last longer than hind boots usually -- again, depends on the horse. I've had some boots do dozens of rides, and others that you were very thankful that the boots were taking the wear the trail gave rather than your horses foot. I think the most I've done on a set of boots was 800 miles. Front boots usually last longer, so it also depends on how the boots get rotated, since I often use the same boots on different horses, and go from fronts to hinds.

I should also mention that Chief never slipped all 3 days at Mt. Carmel in the Epics. We went thru a huge variety of terrain. I think he's learning how to go in them, getting more comfortable in them and feeling secure and learning how to move over the various terrain with them. I held my breath the first day and was pretty nervous about some of the footing we went thru. The year before he did this ride with Ground Control shoes on and once slipped sideways several feet over some of the slickrock. Did not slip on that same slickrock with the easyboots. :)

If you get holes in your toes, line the inside of the boot with a couple of layers of duct tape. That can get you thru another day or two, anyway.

Karen