Re: [RC] [RC] Easy Boot Question & Epics update - DreamWeaver

At 08:16 PM 5/10/2005, Laney Humphrey wrote:
Do you think the shape of the horse's foot makes much difference in how well any of the EZboot variations fit? I'm wondering about hooves that are more oblong instead of nice and round.

Could be, I'll try to get photos so you can see the difference. Chief's front feet are rounder than his hinds, and he's wearing the same size boots all the way around. The new boots seem to be more adjustable and fit snugger. For example, I could only get a size 2 boot over Chief's shod foot, but now that he is barefoot I can get a size 1 on him even though the 2 would still fit, and the 1 looks (holding up bottom of boot to bottom of hoof) too small. I think the tongue shape in the front makes it bend and stretch over the hoof, and that is probably why he's doing so well in them -- they fit so snug and so well that he's not interfering or clunking around in them at all. This as you know was the horse that was formerly easyboot challenged, so I'm pretty excited to have these working so well for him. The gaiters aren't even getting beat up, which is really quite amazing considering the conditions we've been thru. I'll try to g et photos this week sometime, or maybe next weekend when I'm pouting about not going to a ride. ;)

Also, I should mention that I did also put one or two layers of duct tape over the top of the plastic piece/metal parts where the heelstrap attaches to. I don't think that I need to when the conditions are dry, but when the horse has been standing in wet conditions for days I think that having those parts tightened against the hoof could make an indention, and I really like to have the hoof look nice and pretty. Not that a dent would make it less functional, it's just aesthetics. Plus I have some strange need to use duct tape I guess....

Karen