[RC] What to do with horses during storms - Jonni

Everybody's set up (barn / shelter) is different, as is the type of storms
they get. If I had a cinder block barn, built to withstand the extreme winds
that come with tornadoes, I'd have my guys in the barn probably every time.
But, we have a standard metal barn, constructed of welded frame, and the
sheets of metal siding attached to the sides, and roof. It would not take
the actual tornado to probably start blowing the barn apart. Extreme high
winds very well could start loosening the sides, thus becoming a hazard
itself.  The other problem with my guys is, when the hail hits the metal
roof, it scared the heck out of them, and they want no where near that barn.
I'd love to add insulated/sound reducing  roof to the above cinder block
dream barn.

I usually just leave them loose, in their 22 acre pasture. I have found that
they usually, by instinct, go to the lowest point in the pasture. We have
very few trees for them to get under. We watch radar and weather pretty
close, and if it seems to be "just another Texas storm", with lightning, I
have put them in the barn area, which has a small field attached. They can
stay under the roof, or get out away from it if they feel the need.  There
was recently an endurance horse in Oklahoma hit by lighting, and a NATRC
horse hit. The owner of the NATRC horse saw it happen. I can not imagine....
I have to take a bit of the attitude that we can not protect them from each
and every single situation, as much as we would like to. Accidents happen. I
had a horse running and playing in the pasture fall, and break his back. He
would not have had that happen had he been locked up in a smaller corral.
But,  I can not keep them in padded stalls, wrapped up in bubble wrap. (my
luck, they would get tangled in the bubble wrap and suffocate!) There is a
point they have to be "horses".  Each owner has to decide what are the risks
within their own situations, and what they feel is best for their horses.

Welcome to storm season, and the time we all worry if we are "doing the
right thing" with the horses every time a storm blows through.
Jonni