[RC] need info on Old Dominion LD - Stagg_Newman

Jessica,

Good to hear you are getting started with OD LD.
It's a beautiful 25 included the awesome ford
of the Sheandoah River.  (So make sure your
horse is ready for a river crossing - water will
come up to knees or a bit higher).

The trail climbs about 1000 feet or a bit more out of base camp,
fairly good footing.  So key is to take it easy and save horse on
the steady climb.  The trail then basically drops to the Sheandoah River
on logging trails gravel roads and dirt trails through farms.
Be careful on the first part of the downhill as it's a steady descent
and you do not want to pound the horse's front end.  So keep
horse well in hand.

On the LD you then ford the river to the check point.  The first

vet check should be just on the other side of river.  No problem
without a crew in fact they may not even allow crew into
the check point.  Your horses will be cool from the river crossing.
You should be able to make arrangement for your crewing
stuff to be transported to the crew spot I believe.
It's your first endurance ride so you will not be racing, right?
So you can take your time at the checkpoint.

I believe you then turn around, cross the river and return over the same trail.
Note that you should verify route with ride management as it conceivable
they could have to LD go on to Fitchett's which is the first check point
for the 100.  Then they would have to make arrangements to get horses trailered
back to base camp.  (If that is the case let me know I will describe that
part of the trail for you.

If you are already riding your horses 12 miles 3 times a week on
mountainous rocky trails your horses are more than ready.  You
are training your horse far more than I do for the Old Dominion 100
in terms of milage.  So my advice is to decrease your training and give them more rest.
IMO many people are over training their horses.

In getting my horse, Jayel Super, ready first for the Biltmore 100 and the the
Old Dominion 100, I usually only do one serious training ride a week
of 2 to 4 hours and one equitation lesson of 45 minutes in a sand arena.
The one training ride a week is mountainous with typically 2000 - 3500
feet or climbing.  I then make sure my horse gets plenty of rest.
FYI with this training program Super has done well at Biltmore and OD in the 100.

Note that Super does have quite a few years of base on him and does get
turned out in a 10 acres rolling pasture so does get exercise by running around.
If your horseis kept in a small pasture or paddock then light riding several
times a week is more necessary.

For horses new to the sport emphasize lots of steady trotting mixed with
good climbing at the walk.  I would probably modify your training program
to one easy ride a week and one longer ride a week and 30 to 45 minutes
or ring work once a week to emphasize balance, alignment, and rhythm
(i.e. basic equitation).

Stagg Newman

From: jspoone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC]   need info on Old Dominion LD

Hi everybody, me and my sister are planning on doing the Old Dominion LD as our
jump into the endurance realm (yay!). Can anybody tell me anything about the
trails and whether vet checks will be in camp? We're going to be doing it with
nobody to crew so I'm trying to make my plans early. Also anything I should
know before hand or absolutely not forget? I'm so excited! Oh one more thing,
how many miles a week and per ride is a good goal to be ready for this? We're
doing about 12 miles 3 times a week on mountainous, rocky trails right now and
will be upping that in the next couple weeks.
Jessica Spoone-Raines
information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to
receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
disclose or take any action based on this message or any
information herein.  If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.