Re: [RC] American-flex saddle - Laney Humphrey

There is a big difference between flexible tree saddles and flexible panel saddles. American-Flex is a flexible panel, not tree, saddle. Linda is right that no saddle can be expected to really fit a wide variety of horses' backs but most folks only want a saddle to fit one horse well.
Laney

Linda Cowles wrote:
Hi Julie,
I looked into selling American saddles... they aren't as well made as Big Horn, but have a nice variety of styles.
Julie, I'm posting this back to the group because it's good information for everyone. I'll be in your area more often now, and would be delighted to help you with saddle fitting.
Folks, the problem with any "flex tree" type saddle is that it's essentially a fixed tree with semi-flexible inserts between the cantle and the pommel. The amount of "flex" varies depending on the manufacturer. I have a bare flex tree (from Big Horn), and will be taking it to rides with me so that people can begin to understand it's limits & applications.
Saddle fit problems usually occur 1) in the withers, 2) across the shoulder area, 3) the length of the back or 4)from side to side across the back.
The most typical fit problem is in the shoulder; TB's have a narrow shoulder (usually needing a semi-QH type tree), and stocky QH's and Arabs have a broad shoulder (typically fit with a Full QH Bar tree). Other back characteristics that impact saddle fit are a pitched back angle on TB's (no fun to ride bareback!) as compared to the flatter back of an Arab or the very flat back of a stocky QH.
None of these problems are resolved by Flex trees. Flex Trees DO NOT help saddles fit a wider variety of horses!!! To the contrary, if they don't fit, they can cause even more damage to the horses back.
A flex tree may have some benefits if the tree fits a particular horse well... but a treed saddle always has to be a very close fit.
Later! Linda

*Linda Cowles*
*Certified Hoof Care Provider*
707-621-0240 - Cell