From: Lynne Glazer [mailto:anyone@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, April 09, 2005 12:34 PM
To: healthyhoof@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; Marinera@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] American-flex saddle

Linda, the American-Flex does NOT have a flexible tree, but
it DOES have flexible panels a la Ortho Flex.

Lynne

On Apr 9, 2005, at 12:42 PM, Linda Cowles wrote:

Hi Julie,
?
I looked into selling American saddles... they aren't as
well made as
Big Horn, but have a nice variety of styles.
?
Julie, I'm posting this back to the group because it's good
information for everyone. I'll be in your area more often now, and
would be delighted to help you with saddle fitting.
?
Folks, the problem with any "flex tree" type saddle is that it's
essentially a fixed tree with semi-flexible inserts between
the cantle
and the pommel. The amount of "flex" varies depending on the
manufacturer. I have a bare flex tree (from Big Horn), and will be
taking it to rides with me so that people can begin to
understand it's
limits & applications.
?
Saddle fit problems?usually occur 1) in the withers, 2) across the
shoulder area, 3) the length of the back?or 4)from side to
side across
the back.
 ?
The most typical fit problem is in the shoulder; TB's have a narrow
shoulder (usually needing a semi-QH type tree), and stocky QH's and
Arabs have a broad shoulder (typically fit with a Full QH Bar tree).
Other back?characteristics that impact saddle fit are a
pitched back
angle on TB's (no fun to ride bareback!) as compared to the flatter
back of an Arab or the very flat back of a stocky QH.
 ?
None of these problems are resolved by Flex trees. Flex
Trees DO NOT
help saddles fit a wider variety of horses!!! To the
contrary, if they
don't fit, they can cause even more damage to the horses back.
?
A flex tree may have?some benefits if the tree fits a
particular horse
well... but a treed saddle always has to be a very close fit.
?
Later! Linda