Re: [RC] American-flex saddle - Lynne Glazer

Linda, the American-Flex does NOT have a flexible tree, but it DOES have flexible panels a la Ortho Flex.

Lynne

On Apr 9, 2005, at 12:42 PM, Linda Cowles wrote:

Hi Julie,
?
I looked into selling American saddles... they aren't as well made as Big Horn, but have a nice variety of styles.
?
Julie, I'm posting this back to the group because it's good information for everyone. I'll be in your area more often now, and would be delighted to help you with saddle fitting.
?
Folks, the problem with any "flex tree" type saddle is that it's essentially a fixed tree with semi-flexible inserts between the cantle and the pommel. The amount of "flex" varies depending on the manufacturer. I have a bare flex tree (from Big Horn), and will be taking it to rides with me so that people can begin to understand it's limits & applications.
?
Saddle fit problems?usually occur 1) in the withers, 2) across the shoulder area, 3) the length of the back?or 4)from side to side across the back.
?
The most typical fit problem is in the shoulder; TB's have a narrow shoulder (usually needing a semi-QH type tree), and stocky QH's and Arabs have a broad shoulder (typically fit with a Full QH Bar tree). Other back?characteristics that impact saddle fit are a pitched back angle on TB's (no fun to ride bareback!) as compared to the flatter back of an Arab or the very flat back of a stocky QH.
?
None of these problems are resolved by Flex trees. Flex Trees DO NOT help saddles fit a wider variety of horses!!! To the contrary, if they don't fit, they can cause even more damage to the horses back.
?
A flex tree may have?some benefits if the tree fits a particular horse well... but a treed saddle always has to be a very close fit.
?
Later! Linda