[RC] moving to CA from NY - Jonni

Being "self employed", you have jumped the biggest hurdle for living out in
CA, and being close to the mountains and out of the "city". Cost of living
is higher than other areas, but pay usually is too. CA has some of the very
best recreational areas, and places to ride in the country. It may have it's
problems, but as far as National forest and public lands to ride, it is way
up top compared to most of the states.  Now, as far as "rattlesnakes,
enteroliths, sand colics, hard to find grass hay ". I'd rather deal with
Rattlesnakes, as they warn you and you hear them first. These darn TX
Copperheads just lay low and then get you. enteroliths are probably more
common to those who feed a lot of alfalfa, and those on water systems with a
high Ph (I think it was Ph....geez, I forgot). Anyway, some folks dump
vinegar in the water troughs, to balance the water out, and feed little
alfalfa. Sand colic is regional too. The whole state is not sand! And you
have other options besides alfalfa and grass hay. Many types of "grain" hay
such as wheat, barley, Oat, or some that are even a mixture. Lots of hay
choices. Good luck with the move. I am sure someone can fill you in on the
school systems. The Sierras are beautiful, and every winter you can think
about how nasty it is in NY, and that you can still prob. be riding most of
the year, depending on your elevation.
Jonni
www.pbase.com/photobyjonni