[RC] moving to CA from NY - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Jeanette Mero drjmero@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hey all

I don't usually post, just a lurker.  But I would appreaciate some input,
advice, throughts from all you westerners. The good and the bad.  I am a born
and raised easterner about to make a big change.  I am moving from upstate NY
to central CA near Yosemite.  I am a horse vet that has had to work on way too
many cows over the years and heaven is waiting for me out in CA with an all
equine vet practice.  Of course I am bringing my endurance horses and plan to
continue to ride and vet rides.  Yep I am already entered for this year's Tevis.

Any thoughts, advice etc on anything about CA and what it is like to live out
there - i.e. I am bringing little kids and need to know about the schools and
what the environment is like for kids.   And of course the move itself is going
to be monumental - moving a farm here to a ranchette ( I guess that's what they
call them) out there.

I understand I have to put up with rattlesnakes, enteroliths, sand colics, hard
to find grass hay and of course the usual CA issues of earthquakes, floods, and
fires.  It all seems worth it to me for the climate and the ability to ride
from my back door into 3000 acres of the Sierras.  But maybe I am missing
something?

Thanks
Jeanette (Jay) Mero
still snowy and freezing here in upstate NY