[RC] moving to CA from NY - Alair Davidson

Jenette-

I moved to CA from Chicago 7 years ago, and despite the ups and downs, don't
regret it for a minute.

This year is definitely an El Nino year (even if the forecasters are still
in denial) so we have had much more rain than normal. We have a lot of mud,
but the hills are emerald green, the sky is this incredible aqua blue and
temps in the high 60's today. So happy to leave behind that dirty gray that
seems to overtake the trees, ground and the sky in the midwest from Nov to
April. Also left behind the "horse flys"... we certainly get flies here, but
very few of those oversized, swarming black/brown stinging nasty buggers...

I live in the San Francisco bay area, and we refer to the area you will
likely be living as the central valley. You will be within trailer range of
two of the best equine medical facilities in the US, UC Davis and Pioneer.
If you ever have a lameness issue, Pioneer has some of the best docs in the
world that can help find out why.

There are thousands of miles of trails, most of which I can only hope to see
in my lifetime. Every endurance ride or training ride I've gone on, it never
ceases to amaze me when I take a deep breath and look around (when my crazy
for the trail Arab gives me a chance)and marvel at how wild and majestic the
open spaces are. We will climb up the side of a hill or mountain and if I
look back, I often feel my stomach flip at how far down the trail is... or
how high we have climbed. The vistas will often make me ask, "How did I get
here?" After that brief philosophical moment, I look at a trail map and
figure it out so I can come back again. It is a far cry from the tag games
we played in the August corn fields.

If you want to do endurance, this is the place. Lots of rides to choose
from, great vet teams, awesome training and, in my case, incredible people
with whom to train. If you are going to spend all of your free hours out on
the trail, do it with people you love ... I feel so fortunate that I have
the most incredible friends that have taught me so much about the sport,
provided the motivation to climb those hills and keep me laughing during
those 20 mile, dusty August training rides.

The first few endurance rides are overwhelming as there are so many people.
After a few rides, you start to learn the names and faces. I look forward to
seeing everyone in ridecamp and finding out what they have been up to. (The
ones with living quarters have usually done a ton of rides since I last saw
them ;-) You'll see a wide array of people... some in tents, some in luxury
live-in quarters. Everyone just pulls in and sets up.

It is a bit of a challenge to find a good place to keep your horses. I
always thought the horse people in IL were a bit off, but most of the
managers/owners of boarding facilities out here are certifiable. If you can
find a private/small facility that meets your needs, go in that direction!

We have a website: www.bayequest.org that has a chat board, vendor listings
etc. It isn't quite as rambunctious as ridecamp, but it caters to a much
more diverse crowd.

The property costs, state income tax, cost of gas and utilities have been a
bit of a shock. Better where you are headed than the bay area. I must admit,
when I relocated out here, I was taken aback at my first paycheck and tax
filing. Uggh.

Good luck on your move! I moved here in March... wonderful time of year to
come and appreciate the contrasts of eastern winter vs. CA. Drop a line if
you need anything...

-Alair

(still doing LD...not because the horse isn't ready, but working until the
rider is conditioned;-)

Please Reply to: Jeanette Mero drjmero@xxxxxxxxxxx or=
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hey all

I don't usually post, just a lurker.  But I would appreaciate=
some input, advice, throughts from all you westerners. The good=
and the bad.  I am a born and raised easterner about to make a=
big change.  I am moving from upstate NY to central CA near=
Yosemite.  I am a horse vet that has had to work on way too many=
cows over the years and heaven is waiting for me out in CA with=
an all equine vet practice.  Of course I am bringing my=
endurance horses and plan to continue to ride and vet rides. =
Yep I am already entered for this year's Tevis.

Any thoughts, advice etc on anything about CA and what it is like=
to live out there - i.e. I am bringing little kids and need to=
know about the schools and what the environment is like for=
kids.   And of course the move itself is going to be monumental=
- moving a farm here to a ranchette ( I guess that's what they=
call them) out there.

I understand I have to put up with rattlesnakes, enteroliths,=
sand colics, hard to find grass hay and of course the usual CA=
issues of earthquakes, floods, and fires.  It all seems worth it=
to me for the climate and the ability to ride from my back door=
into 3000 acres of the Sierras.  But maybe I am missing=
something?

Thanks
Jeanette (Jay) Mero
still snowy and freezing here in upstate NY