Re: [RC] does low resting heart rate = lower aerobic/anaerobic threshold? - DVeritas

In a message dated 3/17/2005 5:31:51 A.M. Mountain Standard Time, qhll@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I do not want to ride him too hard, but I worry that I'm not
riding him hard enough for there to be any aerobic gain.
Hi Shanna,
    At eight years of age, your horse's legs should be ready for work.
    If he has no leg issues now, the trotting that you are doing certainly won't be too much for him.
    At this stage of his "endurance development," though, I would (like others have said), not focus too much on "aerobic gain".
    Let the aerobic gain be a byproduct of a good conditioning program for the platform (underpinning, muscle groups, etc.)  Lung and heart function will adapt to the work much quicker than the rest of the horse, that focusing on it (closely watching the heart monitor instead of the horse's forward attitude, willingness, brightness, recovery, etc.) might not be the way to go.
    Standardbreds' abilities to trot quickly have made them the choice for many endurance riders, particularly when crossed with other breeds.
    I would caution that just because a horse can trot really fast, doesn't necessarily mean that the horse should always trot really fast.  The full spectrum of gaits available to your horse and the soft tissue flexibility without degradation to the legs is the real strength of your horse.
    An LD ridden with a willing horse by a rider who knows their horse's true strengths is always a great idea.
    Good luck,
      Frank