From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Ridecamp Guest
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 10:54 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] does low resting heart rate = lower aerobic/anaerobic
threshold?

Please Reply to: Shanna shanzahner@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi all.  I'm conditioning my 8 year old Standardbred for endurance.  We
dabbled in NATRC last summer, and will be hitting the NATRC season hard this
summer, with hopes of entering our first 25 mile AERC LD in September.
Here's my situation: My Standardbred has a resting heart rate of 24.  At his
10 mph trot (which is his sloooww trot)his heart rate rarely reaches triple
digits.  It normally hangs in the low to mid 90's.  He recovers to 62 bpm
within 1-2 minutes at a walk.  Since we are in the early beginning of our
conditioning (currently riding 5 miles every other day, with 3 miles of it
at a trot) I do not want to ride him too hard, but I worry that I'm not
riding him hard enough for there to be any aerobic gain.  Since he has such
a low resting HR to begin with, could he actually have a lower threshold for
aerobic gain and anaerobic work? (are ya followin' me?)  Or, should I be
riding him faster at this short distance to get his heart rate in the triple
digits?  I just want to make sure whatever I do I do not overstress his
bones and ligaments.  Any thoughts from the experienced?