[RC] Pregnancy and riding -

And now the rest of the story. . .

I am awed by the women who rode late in pregnancy and immediately thereafter.
I was not able to do so.  I had my first and only child late - he was born just
two months before my 39th birthday.  My horse, an ex-racehorse with an
extremely timid personality, has always required me to be a rider, never a
passenger.  I am not, never was, and never will be a Division I caliber
athlete.  I got pregnant in September and stopped riding for winter around late
November (I live in Central Michigan.  When I got back on the horse in late
March, I got right back off - I didn't like the feel of the baby bouncing when
we trotted, and I felt I had too much at risk if I came off.  The awkwardness
of my abdomen combined with the shift in my balance unsettled my horse and
eroded my confidence, which is not the right way to ride Revvy.  We had tried
hard to get pregnant (fertility issues) and it wasn't worth the risk for me.

I guess I'm saying that whether you ride pregnant depends on lots of stuff -
your fitness level, the terrain you ride on, your age, your horse.  If you need
to stay off your horse, you are not less of a woman and/or horseperson.

Getting back ON the horse after - all that takes if reliable child care, which
I'm still looking for. . .

Laurie in Clare, MI
who bought a pony for her 5 year old son last summer so SHE could ride.