[RC] Rides sanctioned Convention weekend - Truman Prevatt

There seems to be a proposal going around to forbid the sanctioning of rides in any region the weekend of the convention.

What do you think. I doubt it will cause many more people to get on an airplane and fly cross country for the weekend. My guess is they will just go do a training ride instead.

Sounds like a good ideal on paper but I don't think a ride in the SE impacts the number of riders that go to a convention in Reno or a ride in CA impacts the riders that go to a convention in Atlanta.

Trouble is this is a big country with a diverse climate from region to region. The best time for the convention for folks in the Southand is the first weekend in Aug, but this time is prime ride time in the SW, NW and MT regions. For those in those the MT region the best time is probably Feb or March - but this is prime ride time in the Southland.

My gut feel is the AREC should move the convention around the country - a different region every year. If they want to black out the date in the region it is in - then fine. But if they do black out a date I would rather the AERC look at the previous ride schedules and work around the rides rather than come in and impact the rides and riders. That will open it up and support the membership better than shutting down rides 3000 miles away.

Truman

--

“Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience.” Albert Einstein