[RC] Limited Distance vs Competitive Trail - Jonni

All I said was that I've learned more from AERC rides in the short time
that I've been associated with them. <snip>. I also agree that I want my
horse to go through bogs, narrow trails, up and down embankments, cross
water with sensibility - basically go where ever I point them. However, the
NATRC doesn't teach you that it just judges it.<<<<

Funny that one has *learned* something from participating in some endurance
rides, but feels that NATRC does not *teach* you, just judges you.   Do you
not learn something every time you are "judged" in what ever horse event you
participate in that has a persons opinion as part of the results? In the
show ring, we learn how judges want to see the horse perform for the
particular class entered. Even in Halter classes, you learn what the
conformation that certain judges like to see in a horse, and go to shows
that have a judge that really likes the type of horses one breeds.  In
NATRC, you learn that a horse that does a trail obstacle calmly, and
sensibly, will score better than one who is not listening to the rider, and
just blasts through it. After the ride, you get a score card, telling you
what the judged saw, and how they scored it. Both in positive and negative
points. Even at endurance rides, if a horse is judged for Best Condition, it
is based on an opinion of the vet, on the condition of that horse, combined
with your weight and ride time. Only the order of finish at an endurance
ride is not decided by an opinion, just like timed events at shows and
gymkhanas / playdays.

As far as camp safety I feel that the NATRC goes a bit overboard. Such as
"if water buckets are not secure, horses can knock them over and be without
water for the night, or get them tangled in their feet". Heck that is only a
problem if you are at an NATRC ride and you are not allowed to touch you
horse after 10 pm! <<<

Well you see, due to your lack of knowledge of the sport, and doing enough
events, you are again, misinformed. Indeed, if my horse has ran out of
water, or feed, no matter what time it is, I can give them more. I have not
met a judge yet, that would penalize you for doing so.(but one who will
penalize you if your horse is found with an empty water bucket, and
inattentive rider)  But personally, I'd rather get my sleep at night, and
KNOW when I went to bed, he had plenty of both, and that he can NOT knock
over his buckets that are secure and safe in his camp area.

Heck at the Cow Tanks Ride it not only rained, it POURED! I sleep in the
front half of my stock trailer in a tent-cot - I simply pulled the divider
gate shut and loaded her up in the back half and she spent the night with me
in the trailer. Couldn't do that at a NATRC ride. Well, I could but I'd get
a lower score or disqualified.<<<

Again, misconception. If rain is expected, I have always asked the judges at
the ride briefing, if they had any issue if I put my horse inside the
trailer if the weather turned really nasty. And again, I have never had one
have a problem with it. If I forgot to ask, I have still loaded them in the
trailer, and mentioned it to the judge in the AM. They have not had issue
with it.

This is the kind of thing that get misconceptions of the organizations
started, from riders who have not spent much time participating in the
sport. And this applies to BOTH the NATRC and endurance communities. (and
any other horse sport that someone has only done a little bit)  Many who
have never tried endurance are told by other CTR riders how the endurance
riders run the crap out of their horses, are not friendly, are out there
killing horses on the trail at every ride, etc. etc.  You name the rumor,
and it has been told. But those CTR riders have not actually dealt with
endurance rides much, if any, to have formed these ideas. Yet, the rumors
get going, and endurance can get a bad name, due to these rumors.

Intersting fact regarding the Tevis finishers of 75% participating in
NATRC prior to completing the Tevis. But, a large number of folks start out
in NATRC before going to AERC. I'm sure dressage helps a lot as well -as any
other event that requires good equitation <<<

Actually, it is the education they get from learning to pace their horses,
care for their horses, and having horses that are well mannered, and that
you can "micro-manage" their footsteps if needed through tricky trail
situations are what I think contributes to the CTR horses having a little
better completion rate than those who have not done any CTR. It is the
judging at the rides that indeed TEACHES folks how to do these things.

This discussion started (as it usually does) with someone asking about
starting a new horse in LD or CTR. There are pros and cons on both sides of
this. Those how have done CTR with past horses, will almost always say CTR
is the best for the new horse and riders. If the rider has never done CTR,
then they will start a new horse in endurance or LD. But for the new rider,
they have to decide which would work best for them. Also, what is available
in their area. I started my newest in both CTR's, and multi-day type
endurance rides. Going slow, not putting him in the situation to early in
his ride career of having horses blast past him that are racing, has given
me a horse who is very easy to control at the start of an endurance ride,
and listens to ME as to what speed we will be going. This worked for ME, and
my horse. I find no reason to "put down" either sport for the way they do
things. I like them both. But, I have participated at both off and on for
over 25 years.

Jonni