Re: [RC] Limited Distance vs Competitive Trail - Dbeverly4

In a message dated 3/15/2005 6:29:49 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, circlenat@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Heck
that is only a problem if you are at an NATRC ride and
you are not allowed to touch you horse after 10 pm! At
the AERC rides I have the freedom to check my horse
during the night. If she knocks over a bucket or even
drinks it dry I can tend to her. Heck at the Cow Tanks
Ride it not only rained, it POURED! I sleep in the
front half of my stock trailer in a tent-cot - I
simply pulled the divider gate shut and loaded her up
in the back half and she spent the night with me in
the trailer. Couldn't do that at a NATRC ride. Well, I
could but I'd get a lower score or disqualified.
Nat,  The 10:00 rule was removed about 9 years ago. And even when in force it never meant you weren't allowed to check on your horse, just not to take him for walks disturbing the entire camp. Now that you can, I can't recall anybody who actually DOES get up after 10 and walk their horse....not at endurance rides either.  You most certainly CAN put your horse in the trailer for the night during bad weather and every move is NOT judged, the judges can't get themselves around to 50 or 60 miles of trail...physically impossible. There are observation spots on the trail, frequently the horsemanship judge just watches and doesn't interfere with your ride at all.  I won't even argue about the offside dismount....I see Kat and others are doing that job just fine.

Also, hi-ties and other types of overhead tie systems are allowed in NATRC. Pads are allowed. (what are myths need busting here?)  Oh yeah, you can syringe e-lytes.

Sylvia