[RC] Limited Distance vs Competitive Trail - Nat Nelson

Dang I didn't want to start a heated debate and I
didn't say I didn't like CTR either! All I said was
that I've learned more from AERC rides in the short
time that I've been associated with them. The CTR
rides I've done have all been NATRC, they are fun but
I personally prefer a lot less hoplah, rules and
regulations.

It is not because I don't like rules in general. I
also raise and show AQHA and APHA halter horses, and
know both rule books for both associations forwards,
backwards and upside down. However, bottom line I
prefer AERC over NATRC, simply due to the less fluff
of unimportant issues.

I generally got higher scores in the horsemanship
judging at NATRC rides, so it isn't because I don't
ride properly either, I just prefer the AERC.

As far as mounting or dismounting on the right side -
still see no reason to do so. Of course there are some
of you who will disagree - that's fine. I simply don't
do it, I have different methods of handiling tight
spaces, and drop offs and see no reason to get off the
right side. But that's just me.

I do agree with Jodi that a good trail horse will go
through trail situations carefully, safely. I also
agree that I want my horse to go through bogs, narrow
trails, up and down embankments, cross water with
sensibility - basicly go where ever I point them.
However, the NATRC doesn't teach you that it just
judges it. Quite frankly you should be striving for
that before you go to a ride anyways.

As far as camp safety I feel that the NATRC goes a bit
overboard. Such as "if water buckets are not secure,
horses can knock them over and be without water for
the night, or get them tangled in their feet". Heck
that is only a problem if you are at an NATRC ride and
you are not allowed to touch you horse after 10 pm! At
the AERC rides I have the freedom to check my horse
during the night. If she knocks over a bucket or even
drinks it dry I can tend to her. Heck at the Cow Tanks
Ride it not only rained, it POURED! I sleep in the
front half of my stock trailer in a tent-cot - I
simply pulled the divider gate shut and loaded her up
in the back half and she spent the night with me in
the trailer. Couldn't do that at a NATRC ride. Well, I
could but I'd get a lower score or disqualified.

As far as a clean horse at vet checks - I probally
have the cleanest horse in the southwest region. For
example at the Cow Tanks Ride I qualified for BC
compitition. I cleaned off all the mud (remember it
poured the during the nite so the trails were MUDDY)
and groomed her up to perfection. The ride manager saw
me coming to the vets and said "Dang Nat, your horse
is CLEAN! Looks like you didn't do nothing!" LOL!  I
got accused of having my horse looking too good at Old
Pueblo with her all slicked out and shinny!  She
didn't look like she did anything after that ride
either ;)  But hey, I enjoy grooming my horse - (not
everyone does)  that's just halter horse curse, I just
can't help myself. LOL!

You're right, NATRC isn't for everyone. Once I tried
AERC I'll never go back to NATRC rides!  Some folks
enjoy both, frankly I can't afford to do both and
accomplish the goals I've set.  Infact I've even put
my halter horse showing on hold until the September
futurities.

Intersting fact regarding the Tevis finishers of 75%
participating in NATRC prior to completing the Tevis.
But, a large number of folks start out in NATRC before
going to AERC. I'm sure dressage helps a lot as well -
as any other event that requires good equitation -
even riding those "peanut" rollers (which is no longer
acceptable in most breed association these days)
around the show ring.

My point being in the original post was If you enjoy
being judged on your every move on the trail and in
camp, that excells in a structured enviroment full of
rules and regulations. Well then, competive trail may
be your cup of tea.  It just isn't my cup of tea, as
it may for others. Didn't mean to start a heated
discussion :)

~Nat~
Buckeye, AZ