[RC] Limited Distance vs. Competive Trail - Jonni

Nat Nelson wrote: >>>I myself do not care to be judged on whether or not I
"correctly" mounted my horse, or correctly navigated my horse over an
obstical, whether or not I can mount or dismount on the right, or if I have
all the sharp edges of my horse trailer wraped with vet wrap or not. What I
do care is that my horse is sound; before, during and after the ride and
gets a good vet scores.<<<

I think many who don't "like" CTR, don't like rules in general (or being
'judged' in general...especially when it comes to care of their horse). Or,
there are those with such limited experience in participating in the sport,
they take the experience from a few rides, (often long ago) , and feel they
understand the sport enough to tell others what it is all about. But I think
many don't understand WHY many things are judged, and leave the sport before
they "get it".

I am only familiar with NATRC, so those in the other organizations would
have to correct me if they have differences. NATRC judging is based on what
makes a good distance trail horse. Both the horse and rider are judged. It
is the horsemanship part that many riders don't "like". If I remember
correctly, Nat, who posted the above, stated once on another list, that
there was NO reason to ever get on and off of a horse on its right side (off
side), and that one should not EVER be judged on that. Of course, as many
who trail ride a lot know, there are times on some trails, that the only way
to get back on after dismounting due to trail conditions, might be to get up
on the edge above the trail to the horses "off" side, to get back on. Also,
I know that if my left knee gets to hurting, it is easier to get on using
the other leg, from the other side. Just one example of someone never seeing
the reasoning for a certain judging situation.

A good trail horse will go through trail situations carefully, and safely,
to not cause injury to himself or the rider. I want my horse to stay calm
going through bogs, narrow trails, up or down an embankment into a creek etc
. NATRC just happens to judge these things, along with the horses condition
and soundness.  The riders are judged on the care of their horses, which
includes trail equitation. The better and more balanced we ride, the better
it is for the horse. Even in endurance, we can see the more balanced riders,
those who get their weight up off their horses backs going up a hill etc.
etc., are often ones who do very well with their horses do very well. Safety
around camp is judged, such as "wrapping sharp edges of ones trailer", as
those types of things can, and do get horses injured. It makes riders really
take a look at their camp area, and pay attention to what could be a hazard
to the horse. If water buckets are not secure, horses can knock them over
and either be without water for the night, or get the bucket handle tangled
in their feet. These things being judges are all safety and care issues. Oh,
and a clean horse to start the ride, is less likely to get a rub from tack
than a dirty horse with last weeks sweat and mud still on him. As I said,
many don't stick with the sport long enough to understand WHY these things
are done. They would just rather close their minds and bad mouth the
sport...

Competitive (NATRC etc) is not for everyone. Just as Endurance is not for
every one. Shoot, I can not ever see myself going around in circles in and
arena with my horses head set "just right" (dragging the ground), or raising
horses to be big and fat so they can be lead into the arena for someone to
judge their conformation. But others love it, and they have found the right
horse activity for them. I have found that I don't do anything differently
at a NATRC ride, or endurance ride. I care for my horse just the same. It
taught me years ago, how to do things better for my horse around camp, and
on the trail.

Does anyone remember who did the informal study about Tevis finishers, and
those who had done NATRC prior to attempting Tevis? If I remember, the
completion rate for NATRC riders was usually about 75%, where the general
completion rate at Tevis is about 50%.  That to me, says something about how
NATRC can benefit the endurance rider......

Jonni in TX who rides BOTH sports.