[RC] Topics for Hot Topics Workshops at AERC Convention - Oldwaggy

I am writing to encourage people to come to the Hot Topics workshops I will be conducting at the AERC convention.  These workshops have been a big hit at the last two conventions.  They are the only place where AERC members can engage in realtime discussions with other members and AERC board members about controversial issues.

The ideas developed at the workshops in Chattanooga two years ago led directly to the creation of the Horse Welfare Committee and more effective reporting of equine fatalities.  Last year we discussed a summary of the year’s horse deaths and what lessons we might learn from them.  We will review a similar summary of the 2004 horse fatalities Saturday morning.  As important as the subject of preventing horse deaths is, we also intend to discuss a broader group of topics at this year’s workshops.

The primary topic for this year’s workshops will be the Future of the AERC.  The input of the membership on this subject will be particularly critical since the AERC Board of Directors will be starting a long range planning process at the Thursday evening and Sunday morning board meetings.  What you say at the workshops will be fed directly to the board members at the Sunday board meeting.

I conducted a preliminary workshop with the Board alone at last summer’s midyear meeting in Kansas City on this general topic.  We aired out such things as: What kind of membership growth do we want? How should we handle the continuing growth of LD?  Should we do anything to promote participation in 100 mile rides? What relationship should we have with the FEI and international riding?  How can we improve the AERC as an organization?  Do we need to broaden the definition of our sport to ensure trail access for our rides?  I hope to see our membership cover the same material at our workshops at the convention.

In preparation for the start of the long range planning process, board members have been asked to consider a series of specific questions.  Although I won’t reproduce them here, I will try to summarize them.  What are the two or three most important problems the AERC needs to address?  What are the two or three things the AERC does best?  What can the AERC do in the future to maintain its leadership role in promoting and developing the sport of endurance riding?  Personally, I wonder whether all the money coming into the sport from overseas will impact how I get away from my busy life to relax on my pony on the weekends.  What do you think about these questions?  Our Hot Topics workshops at the convention will be the best place to make sure your opinion is heard in planning the Future of the AERC.

The Hot Topics workshops will start at 7 a.m. Friday and Saturday mornings.  They will be over by 8:30 a.m. each day so that they won’t conflict with any of the educational seminars.  We will start with the Future of the AERC Friday morning.  We will finish up with that discussion Saturday morning after a presentation by Horse Welfare Committee members on 2004 horse fatalities.

Wading right into controversial topics is healthy for an organization.  We will keep things civil, but I always enjoy a good ruckus and look forward to seeing you there, bright and early.

John Parke