[RC] re: difficult rides - Cindy Collins

All good questions, Melissa, and like everything in this sport, you'll
probably get a variety of answers.  One of the big areas of discussion on
both lists recently is a feeling by many old timers that we have "dumbed"
down the terrain for the international folks and/or newer generation of
riders.  I'm sure that's an oversimplification, but it does seem to me
that some of the newer riders whine a lot about tough terrain that really
is the foundation of the sport.  Anyhow, I really like "technical or
tough" trails...especially with a young, hot horse.  Give them something
to think about and teach them to use their bodies and minds for something
besides speed.  The Tevis and the BigHorn are very technical rides.  The
early ROCs were very technical.  There are many others, but I use these
because I've ridden on them.  BTW, these technical rides are usually
breathtakingly beautiful, too!  Here's what makes them technical...1) Lots
of climb and descent.  The BigHorn starts as approx. 4,000 ft and goes
over 10,000 ft.  The Tevis climbs and falls from 9,000 ft to below 1,000
ft.  2) Single track trails with plenty of rocks, roots, uneven footing,
water crossings and drop offs.  3)  Ride management and the vets expect
you to be competent and to be responsible for yourself and your horse.
They are there to help you complete, but not to babysit.  4)
Weather...Tevis' heat is legendary, especially in the canyons.  The
BigHorn can be very hot in the desert and can easily snow on top, and may
have howling winds, too.  I'm sure other riders have other criteria.  Good
luck to you and don't be afraid of tough rides...they are worth it.  Cindy