[RC] Postive CogginsTest in Chico, CA - rides2far

Here is the story........this mare (Call her Lexi) is a registered
2001 QH > mare in foal and due May 2005. She is a HEALTHY, gorgeous
horse,
kids can > ride, and not to mention again, she is pregnant. I will tell
you now
her > baby is doomed to the same future as she is, even if tested
negative. It is > not known whether the foal could infect EIA at age 5,
10, or maybe
NEVER so > therefore the foal is positive even if he/she tests negative

Feel free to cross post this back to the girl who owns this mare. I
bought my first horse when she was 5 months old when she was weaned off
of her dam who soon after turned up EIA positive. I am in Georgia. That
mare and 2 others had been bought in Mississippi the year previous by my
uncle. He turned them out with 27 other App mares in a huge field with a
creek and a *very* healthy horsefly population. Eventually, one of the
mares from Mississippi became sick. They tested her and she had EIA. This
was before testing was all that common...1975 I believe. They had the
entire herd tested and the three mares who were originally from
Mississippi were all positive and not one other horse tested positive...
even after a year in the same field, so I believe it's pretty safe to
assume they brought it with them from Miss. I had just bought the 5 mo.
old filly when the mare was found positive and I assume put down.  My
filly grew up into a nice mare who tested negative. I sold her to a show
home and she produced some very successful foals for the show ring who
were of course negative.

I did my senior term paper on EIA in 1978 and I know that at that time
they said a foal would test positive while nursing a positive dam, then
unless infected by a fly go negative after weaning. I believe the
standard quarantine is 1/4 mi. which is the range of a horsefly. For a
horsefly to spread the disease it had to be in the act of biting the
positive horse, be interrupted, and immediately bite the next horse. I
think it's *very* likely that most big outbreaks were caused back when a
vet would go all the way down the row in a barn injecting horses with the
same needle. Before disposable needles that was not that unusual. Yes,
it's a serious disease, but don't expect horses to start dropping like
flies all around her or anything.

Angie McGhee
Wildwood, GA
Rides2far@xxxxxxxx