[RC] SLOWLY adding some speed - Aaron Turnage

This year I'd like to move from 8.5 - 10 hr ride times to 7 - 8 hr ride times.  My horse will be 7 and starting his third season, we hit our 250 mileage mark last year on 50's.  I do not want to RACE or go really fast, but it would be nice to be done while dinner is still warm for the most part.  =)  I ride in the West Region (Reno area) and attend a lot of technical rides, but most still have winning times in the 5 hour range or so.

Any advice on how to slowly increase our pace?  His average (not working hard) trot is around 8-9 mph and I know we need to work on using his "fast walk" more consistently.  He has a fast walk but I have a hard time getting him to use it when he doesn't want to.

I read posts about riding 10 miles in 1 hour and think "Wow, I don't think I've ever done that!"  Yet we've managed to complete our rides thus far (okay, we did have ONE overtime pull).  =)  What kind of terrain is that in?  I tend to walk the steeper/longer hills in competition, trot or canter them in training, walk the downhills for now (slowly starting to trot more of these).  Maybe I'm just being too conservative at a ride...???

~ Crysta & Sinatra (if you can't be fast, you might as well look good)